What an amazing year for Canyon View!
With just a few full weeks of school left, let’s take a moment to reflect upon all that we’ve accomplished during our 20th Anniversary Year! Back in January, we listed all the great programs & events PTA sponsored or supported for just the first half of the year (see President’s Message). What have we done since then?
- Lots of 100MC Fun Runs & Participation in the Timberwolf 5K
- STEM Night with OC Astronomers
- Mother-Daughter Tea (5th Grade Health Workshop)
- Taste of Canyon View – International Festival
- Screenagers Movie – Parent Ed: Growing Up in Digital Age
- Jog-A-Thon Fundraiser – THANK YOU!
- Brainstorm STEM Assembly – for all grades
- More Art Masters Classes & Assemblies
- Multiple Grade Level Learning Excursions (on-site & off-site) – Centennial Farms, Discovery Cube, Ballet Workshop, Riley’s Farm, Heritage Museum, Northwood High School Musical, Pretend City, and Walk-thru Ancient World —some only partially funded by PTA
- School Musical “The Lion King, Jr.” – In partnership with IPSF
- Family Movie Night – Disney’s Coco is the featured evening movie for all families to enjoy together on the grass field
- Still have the Imagination Machine Assembly coming up May 21
- Staff Appreciation Week – our favorite time to pamper our entire Canyon View Staff with a “World of Thanks”
- Additional funding is given to school to support: radKids, STAR prizes & incentives, classroom instructional supplies, health supplies, playground/PE equipment, tech peripherals, coding bots, Chromebooks & carts, and professional development
- PLUS Funding has supported 1 new bottle-filling, chilled water fountain with another planned for installation next year
- PLUS front office communications board providing a welcoming environment with upcoming event dates, calendar, and pictures of recent activities at school
- …and a Super-Amazing MPR Stage & Atrium Sound System Upgrade that includes 8 new speakers, 4 new mics, a remote control wall panel & remote iPad controller, bluetooth audio connection, CD player, new amp, equipment rack storage, etc.
Your Volunteer Time is Worth a Whopping $444,727.29!*
It takes a huge amount of parent and community volunteer hours to support all that happens at Canyon View. For this school year, we have calculated an estimated 15,288 hours of volunteer time (average of ~2.7 hrs invested in each child per month). At first glance, this number may look high, but the truth is we are on a downward trend of volunteer support and could really use parent help with many of our activities or risk losing them. Yes, there are some roles that may require some specific skill proficiency. However, the majority of what we need is just a commitment of being reliable and available as-needed. There are training resources available as well as an Exec Board that is willing to help you be successful in any role or task you take on. Taking the first step and simply asking how you can help your child(ren) with PTA involvement is as simple as emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Do it today and we’ll find something that fits into your schedule and matches your skills! We are especially eager to build our Jog-A-Thon team to run and manage this important event. If you can follow our Jog-A-Thon recipe book and keep to a schedule, then you are already a potential candidate!
*According to Independent Sector Report
Your Survey Feedback Matters!
Thank you to all who completed this year’s Annual PTA Survey. The current PTA exec board as well as next year’s board will use this feedback to continue improving and refining all the proposed programs, events, and budgeting planned for 2018-19. Feel free to view some of the specific >PTA Survey Responses.
What to Possibly Improve for Next Year:
- Better ways to support learning excursions TK-6th (on-site or off-site) – Currently, PTA financially supports only a portion of these grade level experiences
- Reading program – based on supported goals by teachers and parents; previous Reading Counts program was a relatively big expense for only a few teachers actually using it. This year’s Millionaire Club had over 200 participants, but took a lot of time by parents to enter data. Reading counts required students to take a quiz for each book and required computer access and time during school with teacher assistance. This is a great way to track and improve reading comprehension and Lexile scores with some fun prizes along the way. The Millionaire Club simply focused on motivating students to read without quizzes, but still rewarded students by the number of words they read. The cost of Millionaire Club is less than half the cost of Reading Counts and doesn’t require teacher time. If more teachers used Reading Counts, then the expense justification would be easier. The Millionaire Club was purely for fun and to keep it, we would need to streamline the data entry. A follow-up survey will be sent out.
- We forgot to include a question about 6th grade Spelling Bee, so we will send a survey out separately to the current 5th grade class or next year’s 6th grade class to assess interest level. We will need a chair or co-chairs as well as 30 or more interested 6th grade participants to have the program.
- Welcome Back Orientation – was a huge success and will happen again on August 21st. Find out your classroom assignments, meet-up with other families, buy new spirit wear, have a chance to participate in Pledge Drive, sign-up for 100MC, sign-up for PTA volunteer opportunities, meet the Principal & office staff, complete registration, join our Korean Parents Association, join our Chinese Parents Group, Join our Dads for Canyon View Network, become a member of PTA, and more! This process will be improved for next year.
- Improved volunteer training for all PTA members to help build capacity and increase effectiveness & efficiency of organization
- Family Interaction – seek to incorporate more family interests/passions and engagement with each other at events
Thank YOU for making a difference for all students at Canyon View!
Canyon View Elementary PTA President 2017-19